Project 3: Project Rivers
Tel: (709) 257-2475
||Grades 4 - 6
|Project Start and
||April 1, 1998 - May
Students will adopt a section at the outlet of the
Northern Arm River and will gather data on water quality,
clean up litter, identify pollution sources and identify
bird populations which exist at various points along our
section of the river. Students will compile the data and
use this to help develop a web page as a link to become a
partner in Project Rivers.
- To gain an appreciation of effects of rainfall,
temperature, wind and other weather factors on
the river. This ties in with "Weather
Watch" in the grade 5 Innovations program.
- Use of estimating skills in monitoring aquatic
life and bird populations.
- Use of percentage and factions in assembling
table and charts.
- Students will make use of science skills such as
observing and quantifying to come up with useful
- Students will gain experience in using computers
to prepare tables and charts in which to display
information and to make tables.
- Students will learn the skills involved in
creating a web page.
- Students will use the Math skills of estimating
in monitoring aquatic life and bird population
along the river.
- Students will make use of percentages, fractions
and Language skills as needed to compile a final
report on their activities.