Project 1: "Fish
||Bill Broderick -
Grade 4 Teacher
||St. Pius X
Baie Verte, NF
Tel: (709) 532-4403
|Project Start and
||March, 1997 - June,
The students will be part of the "Fish
Friends" project sponsored by the Atlantic Salmon
Federation. The goal of the Fish Friends project is to
increase awareness of conservation challenges and to make
the right decisions on the use of the land, water, air,
and the well being of all living things that depend for
their survival on a healthy environment.
The "Fish Friends" project allows the class
to hatch 100 salmon eggs in the classroom in an approved
fish tank. The hatched salmon fry are released in the
river in June. It is hoped that the students will have a
lifelong commitment to the conservation of our
recreational and commercial fish and the environment in
which they live.
Students will interact with other students involved
with the Fish Friends Project in the Atlantic Provinces
via the Internet.
- The life cycle of the salmon
- Concept of location of inland waterways, rivers,
- How the people of Labrador depend on the salmon
as a source of food and income
- Living things in the classroom
- Controlling water temperature in the classroom
- The importance of keeping water clean for fish
- Observing the hatching of fish eggs
- Incubation of fish eggs
- Online communication
- Interpreting the effects of environmental
influences on salmon survival through recalling
- Participate in discussions
- Analyze and summarize information
- Accumulation of factual information about the
salmon life cycle, salmon habitat, and rate of
- Students will interact with another site via the
Internet. This community will have salmon as one
of its resources. In particular a Labrador
- Students will study the concept of habitat.
- Students will study the interactions and
dependencies of living things in fresh and salt
- In the salmon life cycle, students will study the
process of change over time.
- Students will understand that complex
interrelationships exist in the natural world.
- Students will produce online reports, graphs, and
- The STELLAR Schools Internet Connection to
communicate with other communities involved in
the "Fish Friends" Project.
- The Atlantic Salmon Federation Website.
- "On The Rise" - A quarterly publication
of the Atlantic Salmon Federation that is
available to students.